how to bookmark create application shortcut for about page

Have A Problem with Google Chrome? Post it here and hopefully someone can help!

how to bookmark create application shortcut for about page

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:08 pm

I won't bother reposting all of the interesting "about:____" addresses that are possible in Google Chrome, but I noticed that bookmarking these "about" pages is *disabled*.
(ie: when on an "about:" page, the Star icon to the left of the address bar, aka the 'omnibox' is not clickable). I also noticed that "create application shortcuts" was disabled (I was thinking of putting the "about:network" tool in its own window).. but I found a solution!

So here's my little tip for the day:

To bookmark an "about:" page:
  • on any random webpage that IS bookmarkable, click the Star
  • in the Bookmarks pop-out, click "Edit"
  • in the URL field, delete what is present and replace it with your "about:" code (ex: "about:network", without the quotes)
  • in the Name field, type an appropriate new name for the bookmark
  • click Done

To create an application for an "about:" page:
  • on any random page that IS bookmarkable, click the Page Control icon (that's the one to the left of the Wrench icon) and choose "create application shortcuts"
  • in the 'Gears' dialog that opens, select your shortcut target (ex: Quick Launch bar);
    [i]note: we are going to edit the shortcut in a second, so keep in mind if you choose all of the available targets, you will have to manually edit each one)
  • Click "OK"
  • Find the shortcut (on your Desktop, Quick Launch bar or Start Menu, as the case may be), right-click on it and choose 'Properties'
  • Click the 'General' tab and give the application a new name (note: no colons or special characters allowed)
  • Click the 'Shortcut' tab, and edit the 'Target' field, replacing the displayed URL which appears after the text "--app=" with your preferred "about:" address.
    ex:
    change:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=http://www.somepage.com/page.html

to:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --app=about:network
  • Try it out!
Andrew
Site Admin

Return to Google Chrome Problems