mackey

Hot trends from Google Plus Search

mackey

Postby BlueWater on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:37 pm

John Mackey (born August 15, 1953) is an American businessman. He is the CEO of Whole Foods Market which he had co-founded in 1980. Named the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2003, Mackey is a strong supporter of free market economics. He is one of the most influential advocates in the movement for organic food.

He has a sister and a brother. He was student of philosophy and religion at the University of Texas at Austin in the 1970s, and worked at a vegetarian co-op. Mackey eventually became vegetarian. He now identifies as a vegan.

Mackey began his first health food store, Safer Way, in his garage in Austin in 1978,with his girlfriend Renee Lawson Hardy. They had met while working at a vegetarian co-op. They dropped out of university.

Mackey built Whole Foods into a national organization, with outlets in major markets across the country. Along the way he bought out smaller competitors. In 2007 Whole Foods took over a major natural foods supermarket competitor, Wild Oats Markets, Inc.
Attachments
mackey.jpg
mackey.jpg (6.66 ) Viewed 937 times
BlueWater

mackey

Postby BlueWater on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Letter to employees

In 2006, Mackey announced he was reducing his salary to $1 a year, would donate his stock portfolio to charity, and set up a $100,000 emergency fund for staff facing personal problems. He wrote: "I am now 53 years old and I have reached a place in my life where I no longer want to work for money, but simply for the joy of the work itself and to better answer the call to service that I feel so clearly in my own heart."

While CEO of Whole Foods Market in 2008, Mackey earned a total compensation of $33,831, which included a base salary of $1, and a cash bonus of $33,830. In 2009, he again took a salary of $1, as well as receiving compensation amounting to $710,077. He has instituted caps on executive pay at the company.

Political views

Mackey opposed the public health insurance option that ultimately did not become part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Mackey thinks a better plan would be allowing consumers to purchase health insurance across state lines and use a combination of health savings accounts and catastrophic insurance, as Whole Foods does.

John Mackey is known for his strong anti-union views, having once compared unions to herpes in that "it won't kill you, but it's very unpleasant and will make a lot of people not want to be your lover." Whole Foods, along with Costco and Starbucks, teamed up in 2008 to attempt to defeat the Employee Free Choice Act.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.99 ) Viewed 927 times
BlueWater

Re: mackey

Postby michaelbarring on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Mackey began his first health food store, Safer Way, in his garage in Austin in 1978, with his girlfriend Renee Lawson Hardy. They had met while working at a vegetarian co-op. They dropped out of university.

They borrowed $10,000 and raised $35,000 more to start a vegetarian grocery store which they named Safer Way. It was the first vegetarian supermarket in Austin and all of Texas. The two ran the market on the first floor, a health food restaurant on the second, and lived on the third story of their building. In two years, they merged Safer Way with a natural-foods store and renamed the business Whole Foods.
michaelbarring

Return to Google Plus Search