New user questions

Have A Problem with Google Chrome? Post it here and hopefully someone can help!

New user questions

Postby yabbadoo on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 am

I have been a Firefox user for many years and have had no trouble whatsoever. Now that Firefox has engaged upon a policy of rapid version upgrading so that the latest version is not compatible with many add-ons and the Google toolbar has been deleted, I am faced with a change.

Obviously IE is the next choice, but I am interested in Chrome which at present I am giving a good trial run. Please could somebody let me know the answers to the following :-

Chrome will not accept the Google toolbar - why ?

NoScript and Keyscrambler cannot be installed in Chrome. How do I get these vital facilities or equivalents back when using Chrome ?

I cannot see how to use Copy/Paste in Chrome - a feature that I use all the time at the click of a mouse.

I have installed several Chrome extensions more than once and although they show and work on the given session, when I shut down and logon again - they have gone !

Extension ABC spell checker does not work. Like the others , it shows in the given session, does not work and then disappears on re-logon.

Also, every time I login, my Home Page does not load properly until I sign into my account again.
I do not want to sign into my account every time I log in and I have checked the "keep me signed in" box, but it makes no difference. I have a background theme that does not appear if I am not signed in.
yabbadoo

Re: New user questions

Postby yabbadoo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for your help, but in the meantime I have had some successes.

As an update and as there has been no response, after thrashing Chrome with the determination of a Rubik Cube enthusiast, I have succeeded in cracking these items :-
On logging on to Chrome I have to sign in each time, although I have checked the "stay signed in" box. Should not have to do this, but Hey-Ho.

1. I now know where the Copy/Paste is - easy as ever - from the wrench.
2. I have arrived at a solution to the extension problem.

I install all the extensions from the Web Store. Some appear in my Extensions and some
when I hit a new tab. Some put an icon in the toolbar and some do not.

Fair enough - I can use the icons as normal, but for the ones shown in the new tab, I right
click them, then left click their titles and up come the extensions for use in a new tab.
OK for me if not a bit messy, but until somebody comes up with a better idea or the
proper procedure, there it stays.
3. I now know how to use the ABC spell checker.
4. KeyScrambler, the Google toolbar and NoScript are not compatible, so I have lost them.
If anybody can give me a Chrome equivalent I would be grateful.
5. I have installed a Theme that gives Chrome a great pastel colour.
6. I have also installed a lovely background to the Google Home Page.
7. I have cracked how to search my millions of Bookmarks. It is easy just like I have been
used to.
8. I run Chrome using Sandboxie every time. It is not yet my default browser.

That is it for now, until my Chrome activity pops up with some more problems. So far, so good. I am getting to like Chrome, but will remain with Firefox until they pull the plug out.
yabbadoo

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:29 am

>> Chrome will not accept the Google toolbar - why ?
You can use the 3rd toolbar. I developed a Chrome SEO extension: PageRank Status

>> NoScript and Keyscrambler cannot be installed in Chrome. How do I get these vital facilities or equivalents back when using Chrome ?
You can disable JS in the Chrome settings, you can also set a white-list to allow some sties.
To set the JS feature in Chrome , visit chrome://settings/content

>> I cannot see how to use Copy/Paste in Chrome - a feature that I use all the time at the click of a mouse.
Keyboard: Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+V for Paste.
Mouse: Right click the mouse button, and then select the Copy or Paste.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby yabbadoo on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:17 am

Andrew wrote:>> Chrome will not accept the Google toolbar - why ?
You can use the 3rd toolbar. I developed a Chrome SEO extension: PageRank Status

>> NoScript and Keyscrambler cannot be installed in Chrome. How do I get these vital facilities or equivalents back when using Chrome ?
You can disable JS in the Chrome settings, you can also set a white-list to allow some sties.
To set the JS feature in Chrome , visit chrome://settings/content

>> I cannot see how to use Copy/Paste in Chrome - a feature that I use all the time at the click of a mouse.
Keyboard: Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+V for Paste.
Mouse: Right click the mouse button, and then select the Copy or Paste.

Thanks Andrew,
I am getting on fine with my manipulations of Chrome.

The absence of the Google toolbar means very little since most of the attributes are included in the Chrome system. KeyScrambler and NoScript ? I can live without them.

As I use Sandboxie and have no financial data on my computer, nothing can affect my PC and any outgoing data can only be my name and address - so OK hackers, send me a Christmas card and have a nice day.

Chrome takes an age to load the Google Home Page. Seems to be a problem with the Cache. Firefox loads much faster. Hopefully, the developers will resolve this problem, which has been voiced by many users on the web.

I must confess, I like Chrome so far. My "Extensions" that do not show in my "Extensions" are shown in this screen shot, re. item 2 in my last post. Cut off in width, but is adequate. :-
yabbadoo

Return to Google Chrome Problems