Problems ? Chrome you`ve got `em

Have A Problem with Google Chrome? Post it here and hopefully someone can help!

Problems ? Chrome you`ve got `em

Postby yabbadoo on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:16 am

I have been playing with Chrome for quite some time now and reckon I know what it is all about.

I have customized Chrome and tinkered about with it until it seems a very good browser. BUT, it has irritating bugs in it. I have to logon to Gmail before all works well. Logging on to Gmail enables my Homepage to pop up with the theme of my choice and life is good. If I do not do this, then I get messages saying that my cookies are all screwed up and the whole experience disappears in a puff of smoke.

I do not want any suggestions about cookies, I know it all and have tried everything possible and it does not work unless I logon to Gmail, the magic Google flute of eternal success. Even so, Chrome does not remember my password although it is included on the Saved Password list and I have to enter it every time manually. Another bug ? Looks like it.

I do like my customized Chrome, but the response is deplorable. I wait for minutes for the Google Homepage to load, in fact the whole process of logging on to Chrome is akin to a rusty clock. The number of times I get rid of the time-out panel is amazing. I have prematurely aged years waiting for Chrome to respond. I think it would come last in a snails race.

So, conclusion = When the Google brains solve the intricacies of designing a browser that works properly without all the elementary hiccups not expected from such a huge technological organisation, then I will be only too pleased to adopt Chrome as my default browser, but until then the ultimate in browser performance - FIREFOX will be my faithful and constant companion. Firefox in my life works with ultimate efficiency and is trouble free.

My suggestion to the mighty mogul Google`s programming team is to ask Mozilla how to design a perfect browser and then get on and do it.

Please do not get me wrong, whilst I may be criticizing Chrome, I do like it a lot, but would be more than overjoyed to see a better polished and professional job similar to Firefox.

Another amateur oversight is that Chrome has no automatic delete of the Cache on closure. This is an astounding omission and I have had to install an extension called Click & Clean to get it. This works great, but the facility should be included in the main program like on Firefox.
yabbadoo

Re: Problems ? Chrome you`ve got `em

Postby yabbadoo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am

Just a point which may be overlooked by many when poor browser performance dominates their life.

The Internet is like a telephone line - it has it`s busy period and slack periods which vary according to global population use. The Server also conforms to this usage pattern. So, when the busiest global areas are online, the Servers are also highly loaded. Put the two together and we have a browser gridlock.

So I suppose when we are verbally thrashing the poor browser, we should pay more attention to where we are, the time and if the busiest global areas are online. The response times vary enormously on my browser, sometimes good, sometimes bad and since my PC is a constant, it can only be a variable usage factor - "Please try later".

Whilst I am guilty of many nasty remarks about browser performance, the above should be taken into consideration and in practice it never is.

There are good Servers and bad one`s, we cannot go into that, but on the assumption that our Server is reliable, then our best bet for judging our poor browser is at a low usage period. Difficult, but quite easy to make a good guess at. World Internet users by global area :-

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab32 ... se2011.jpg

Judge this in combination with a world day/night time zone map and aim at perhaps between 23.00 - 06.00 when most of Asia and Africa are asleep or another choice and then see how your browser responds.
See :-
http://www.worldtimezone.com/datetime.htm or http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html where you can alter the location and time to move the night period.
yabbadoo

Return to Google Chrome Problems